Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Bountiful Baskets

This past Saturday, I did the neatest thing!  I picked up my first box of produce through Bountiful Baskets.  This has to be one of the 8th wonders of the world as it is an all volunteer food co-op based in Arizona and run by 2 ladies.


All I did was place an order online at  http://bountifulbaskets.org/ and then show up at 12:15.  Despite the long line, the process took less than 20 minutes and I was off with my organic box of produce.


Volunteers organize the fruits and veggies into laundry baskets for distribution, you just bring bags or a box to load up your order.  In addition to the weekly basket, Bountiful Baskets offers breads, olive oil, and add-on boxes of produce.




So, what's in my box?
  • 5 tomatoes
  • 1 large head green leaf lettuce
  • 1 bunch rainbow chard-the stalks are bright red and yellow!
  • 1 bunch spinach
  • 1 bunch broccoli rabe
  • 1 cauliflower
  • 20 or so small white potatoes
  • 1 bag apples
  • 4 oranges
  • 1 pint blueberries
  • 1 bunch bananas
  • 9 grain bread (this was an add-on)
I chose the 100% certified organic box for $25, but they also offer regular produce baskets for $15.  This is a deal!  To make sure we would be able to finish all the produce before it spoiled, I split my order with a friend.  I think, though, that I will buy the regular box next time and see if we can eat it all in a couple of weeks.  We will definitely be ordering again, a least until we start getting veggies from the garden.  Check Bountiful Baskets out at http://bountifulbaskets.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment